Sunday, December 1, 2019

New York New York!


I really liked this week. It started off with our Monday class and finishing up our discussion about The Conquest of America. Our discussion was good, but personally there were times where I struggled to understand the deep complexities which Todorov incorporated into his work in order for the reader to gain a greater understanding of the Spaniards and their conquest of the natives. I think Todorov also wanted us to relate it to today and see how we as individuals or even as states interact with the “other”. Tuesday I did quite a lot. I woke up early to walk a friend to class and say goodby as she was leaving to go home that day. Then I, along with a friend, went to the capitol building in order to visit a representative and pick up her apartment keys. I realized it was the most I had ever done in the morning before my Chinese class. Afterwards I returned to campus, went to Chinese class and then rushed back to my dorm in order to get all of my affairs in order so I could make my train to New York.
I arrived in time for my train, got a lovely window seat and promptly after finishing my participation post slept for the rest of the ride. I was very tired since the fire alarm had gone off at 1am that morning. I arrived in New York and my godfather as well as his wife were there to pick me up. We returned to his apartment and devoured a scrumptious pizza. The next day we walked around the city and saw the play A Christmas Carol. It was a beautiful day and I had a lot of fun with them. I think my godfather is funny, so I was laughing quite a bit this week. We had a delicious dinner at a Spanish restaurant where I shared a paella. The next day was Thanksgiving. We went to New Jersey to have dinner at a family member’s house. It was good, but nothing is quite like cooking from your mom or dad. I loved celebrating this holiday with them and cannot wait to do it again next year. Surprisingly I did not do any shopping on Black Friday, I did some work and then went on a gorgeous walk through Central Park. I had a delicious Italian dinner at a place only a short walk from their apartment.  I love their apartment and its location in the city. Saturday, I did more work and then we went to a nice restaurant for a birthday dinner. Sunday, a gray day in New York, is the day I departed and returned to American University.

Week 14 done. 2 more weeks till I go home for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment