Monday, December 9, 2019

week 15...wait what?!?


This week has been a lot. There seemed to be a lot of things which were due so I was a bit all over the place. In World Politics we started off the week with our simulation. Well that was honestly a bit discouraging because all we did was debate for an hour and change one word! I am laughing as I am writing this because of how silly that is. The word we did add though offers a plethora of opportunities to expand upon the proposal in future debates. On Thursday we discussed a very interesting reading called We Who Stole The Dream. It was a short story written by an AU alum who had to use a man’s name to get published in the first place. The story was fascinating there was so much in it that could be analyzed. What really had me was the significance of smiling was different for the Terran and for the Joolani, the Terran believed it meant happiness whereas the Joolani used it to show sadness. The other concept which caught my attention was the Stars Tears. The fact that the elites of both species were drinking it made me think of a song by The Who titled Won’t Get Fooled Again and the line is at the very end of the song, it goes “Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss”. Those who commanded power in both species were able to get away with atrocities. I believe that power enables atrocities, one does not equal the other, but they enable each other. It was a great last class.
The other days of the week passed in the same fashion as usual, Wednesday I babysat and then went to the abroad meeting to gather more information about this summer. Thursday and Friday were busy as usual, I was running all over the place. Friday I went ice skating with my friends, we tried to go see some Christmas lights but that did not work out. However, a nice security guard let us into a building which had a nice Christmas tree and sleigh set up. It was a fun night. Saturday I spent all day at the library of congress and then I babysat my favorite child. She is the most adorable human in the world, she always makes me laugh and I end up having the silliest times with her. Sunday I attended the global scholar brunch. The food was delicious and it was fun to eat out with friends for free. The weather was really nice too.
Ok back to studying now.

Overall not a bad second to last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment