Sunday, December 1, 2019

Reflection #14

I will write about one of the most stressful trips I have ever taken, and I have been on many stressful ones (one of which involved me sleeping in on my train and having to take an overnight one, which then made me miss the check-in time and having to wait for the hotel to open to enter it at 6 in the morning). This trip was just a horrible chain of events that is made a horrible trip.

The day started off fine, I got to sleep in, have a good breakfast, and it was basically just me enjoying the morning with my family before I had to leave for DC. Things started being stressful when a snowstorm warning was issued, which meant my mom couldn't drive me and my cousin (he was visiting too) to NYC. So that meant we had to buy a bus down, which was no problem other than being a drag. Getting to the bus station was alright, other than the fact it was freezing, and starting to snow. My cousin and I ran to the front of the line, which was a good thing because that bus had overbooked - three people were left stranded. The bus ride started off fine, my cousin went to sleep, and I did work on my computer. It was half an hour in that sh*t hit the fan, the was a blizzard going on outside the bus.

The snow had started to snow so hard, that all the cars were driving 20 under the speed limit, people had their emergency lights on, and the worst thing for me was that my ETA changed from 3:40 to 5:15. This was absolutely horrible because my bus back to DC left at 5, and I was going to get there late. While I internally panicked, I went on my computer to look up if I could reschedule my ticket, and I couldn't I was too late. The only other option I had, was to get on one of the bus' other rides. Those other rides were at 5:15, 6:00 and 7:00. I was hoping to make the first one, but the bus was too late.

Towards the end of the first bus ride, my cousin started to go stir crazy, which was bad, because he is a very energetic person. He knows sign language, and he is very expressive when using it. So as I was getting my work done, my cousin was flailing his arms and making faces next to me, also, he was humming songs at times when he calmed down. When we were around 45 min away, I started to feel sick, very sick. I knew that I would need to get meds before I got on the next bus, which added to my anxiety about this trip. I love my cousin, but when I am sick and he keeps demanding my attention and making weird sounds, I was barely holding it together.

I was sooooo happy when we entered Manhattan since that meant that I was soon going to be on the bus back. I was going to get meds, I was going to get food (I forgot to bring some), and my cousin was going to finally calm down. The only minor and very small detail that ruined it for me was the fact that it was RAINING HARD!

Getting off wasn't bad since it meant I was finally off that monster of a bus and I could get my meds. We walked in the pouring rain, soaking all of my bags and shoes to CVS, where I could get supplies. In the store, I had to go to the bottom floor, all the way to the back, since that's where my meds were hidden, and when I went back up, I got myself a cheap caesar wrap. I stood in line to pay (where I realized I left my credit card at home and only had my debit card), and then I was ready to head off to the second bus stop.

I was elated when I saw the bus there, and when the lovely bus people let me on since it meant I was on the way and all that was left was the uber back to the dorm. Sitting in the bus seat was so nice, and I was all set to do my work peacefully, when a lady sits right next to me, even though there were open seats in the back. And to round up some last bits of horribleness, the wrap that I got was soggy, and the charging station stopped working.

Either way, I am safe and on the bus currently. If you see me in class then you know I got back safely.
- Eli

P.S.
To end my night, my uber drives accidentally dropped the trunk door on my head :(

No comments:

Post a Comment