Saturday, November 23, 2019

#13 Reflection (ym)

     Since my reflection posts were what now called "class participation posts", I thought I want to do a regular reflection post for this week. Specifically because it was the toughest and definitely a rough week, and also because the semester is also ending.

     This week, so many final papers and essays were due, as well as exams. Different things were due everyday, which I do not remember anymore even though I am reflecting my planner. One of the things that is difficult for me from everyone else, is that I take a much longer time to read or write. Therefore, especially for World Politics, reading The Conquest of America for the first time in my life was (is still) really time consuming. Personally, it is one of the hardest books I have ever read. Half of the reason is because I do not know the history of the United States that well, but that is just a reason I am making.

     Reflecting this semester overall, I am not satisfied at all. I remember when I was still in Japan, I was thinking that I should not go hard first semester, because there will be so many other things to deal with, along with moving in and adjusting to the new environment. Int terms of classes, it was not the hardest within all of my academic career. However, I most definitely did not do my best. Although I tried my best in comprehending all of the readings and writings, I could have prepared for my classes better by spending more time for each of my courses. Because I knew that I am behind everyone else, I should have planned what I wanted to comment during class discussions so that I could have actively participated in classes more often.

     As terms of the blog, I really appreciate this space as a student who is struggling to speak up during class discussions. Blogs gave me the opportunity to reflect on my classes and some noteworthy arguments, and then do some extended research so that I can learn while writing these posts and actually learn outside of classes by myself. Also, of course, commenting on others' posts brought new insights to our perspectives which was really effective in opening and widening them to be a better learner.

     Time management is key in anything, but especially in college life. Being with my friends is stress-relieving; however it is actually stressful sometimes. That is absolutely related to my study habits; I tend to focus better when I am alone or one friend, rather than studying with one big friend group. Since I am not a person who studies in the room nor the dorm, I am usually in the sis building by myself at night. Reflecting this semester, I think I have a good balance where I was with my friends studying and studying by myself. However, for the next semester, I definitely should increase the time where I am by myself so that I can focus on my work more. One of the goals for the next semester, is to go off campus on weekdays and study at a cute cafe all day. I couldn't do this because I had classes everyday this semester; however, I have Wednesdays off next semester, so it is actually possible now.

     Next week, I am most likely to be writing about the simulation, so I am not mentioning about the simulation for now. I need to organize mom thoughts for future classes and blog posts, getting ready for finals as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment