Friday, November 29, 2019

Participation for 11-25-19


After examining this last section of The Conquest of America I feel that I have a greater understanding of the conquest, the intricacies behind the Spaniards motivation and in a bigger picture the connotations that exist between the “I” and the “Other”. Something that came to my mind near the end of our discussion was whether or not this is all human nature? Now I believe extreme cruelty and brutality is not natural, it is developed over time by environmental factors. However, to some degree I believe it is human nature to find the easiest path to our goals. For the Spaniards it was easier for them to categorize the natives as inferior, stupid beings who needed to be guided towards a European lifestyle or be killed so they could reap the complete benefits of the land of the Americas. This is wrong. Nevertheless, it made me think about this view of human nature and how it would apply to today’s world. People, in my opinion, have a very narrow understanding of how to interact with those who are different than themselves. Unfortunately, I think it is almost impossible for an average human to not categorize and fit people into their personal hierarchies. Projecting one’s core values and knowledge of how to do life onto others is something we all do on small or large scales. I think it almost inevitable to encounter another and not subconsciously place them within our personal hierarchies or try to project ourselves upon them.

If anyone wants to have a conversation about this or is confused, you know where to find me or comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment